Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A brief introduction

I'm not sure how to even start a blog. Hello? Dear readers? Dear John? HA-sorry, I've been catching the previews for that movie lately and I can't help but gag a little each time the movie is advertised. I probably just lost a handful of people who read or may potentially read this blog because you go for those types of movies. You will have to excuse me, I'm a little jaded. 26 and jaded...scary thought. OK, so let me start by telling you I get off topic--see the above lame attempt at an introduction.

Here's the dilly. My name for this blog is L.C. So you can all just refer to me as that. Some of you reading this know my real name. Please, humor me and forget it. Call me, write me and think of me as L.C. ***NOTE***I'm NOT copying Lauren Conrad off the Hills in ANY way, shape or form. Spare me the insult please.*** OK back to the point. Call me L.C. I recently moved to a teeny tiny town of about 400 peeps called Midale, Saskatchewan. That's in Canada, or as I lovingly refer to it as Canadia. My husband and I met in college. He was a hockey player who had started out in a division 1 school, only to have the program pulled after his first year. He came to St. Norbert his Sophomore year licking his wounds and voluntarily settling for a division 3 school and the inevitable end to his career. I, on the other hand, came to St. Norbert willingly choosing to "be a big fish in little pond" as to "being a small fish in a big pond." Basically, I didn't get into the college I had wanted to and told myself that it was a blessing in disguise. It probably was, but I'm still a bit bitter of that college which I will not mention. I could probably write a whole separate blog on how we went from casual friends to marriage but I will save that for another day, month, year, whatever.

Kurtis and I were married just this past August, in what I think was probably the most fabulous wedding ever. For some reason, every bride thinks that of her own wedding so if anyone reading this is curling his or her nose into a snarl I will not argue with you. I'm sure yours was just as fabulous and wonderful. Kurtis was born and raised in Midale and a couple of years ago a family business venture that went from a random project turned into a big project and business. I moved up here willingly--though, not without a great deal of reservation--in November of 2008. Please keep in mind that I'm from a city of 60,000+ and lived in Green Bay, Wisconsin--a city of over 100,000--for 6 years. Ever since the day I crossed that border into this uncharted territory, I've been making mental note after mental note of all the strange adventures I found myself living on a daily basis. Let's just say I fit into my town about as well as Cinderella's stepsisters fit into her glass slipper--for those of you who are unfamiliar, that is not good at all. It's actually painfully wrong. I was definitely a misfit. The problem with the people of my new, lovable, EXTREMLY old school little town was that they found themselves face to face with an opinionated, educated, liberal, feminist, strong willed, woman who was absolutely under NO circumstances going to conform to anything she didn't want to conform to.

Time passed a year passed. A lot has happened. I have some great friends, a lovely home, and loving husband. That being said, day after day, I felt myself falling further and further into a funk. I couldn't help but feel like I was slowly starting to decay--losing my sense of self. I certainly did not fit into this town. In fact, the word misfit is just perfect to describe me. One definition I found online said something to the effect of "disturbingly different". I love it. It's so true. So, tonight as I was chit-chatting with my mom, she told me to find a creative outlet. The job I am currently working is about the most polar opposite of a job I would ever enjoy doing. I'm an English and creative writing major who works with numbers and spreadsheets on a daily basis. Talk about a slow, painful death. In Midale, there are no such things as opportunities for creative outlets. There is a nice little book club but I don't think the women would be able to handle some of the things I would inevitaly say about the books on their list--I don't want to cause any heart-attachs, strokes, etc. I can't hop in my car and go to a Barnes and Noble because the closest one is over an hour away. No cooking class, no art class, no photography, nothing. I write on a daily basis--that's a blatant lie--I WISH I wrote everyday. I TRY to write but I always find my works circling around similar story lines which give no outlet for my current frustrations and funny stories that I so want to share. SO, tonight I had my "aha" moment and decided to start a blog. In the coming days, weeks, months, whatever, I hope to share with you some of my struggles, stories and funny adventures that I've had and am currently having here in Midale. Let me tell you, I am having a whore of a time trying to assimilate. ***NOTE***by "whore of a time" I in no shape or form mean I am whoring myself out to men at Rosie's, etc. I need to remember some of you will need to get used to my sense of humor. Oh, and you will learn what Rosie's is in the coming blogs.***

SO, please stay posted. I hope that you enjoy the happenings of my strange, crazy life. I hope that I offend no one, and if I do, you probably deserve it--sorry but it's the truth. Also, I by no means feel responsible for my spelling or grammar. When I was little the teachers always told my parents "it will come". Well, it never did. So much for private grade school. Anyway, please read, enjoy, comment and venture with me down the shitty gravel roads of the town with me...a Midale misfit.




Creative Commons License
Against the Grain: Stories of a Midale Misfit by L.C. Weis Peterson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

2 comments:

  1. Ok LC We are ready for the stories. What ever, I am sure it could turn into a TV series or something like that. It will be fun. Will check in when ever we can or hear from you. l Till then Just write away we will read it all.
    It has to help you look at life in many different ways. Great luck sent your way......CB in Sea Town....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LC, though we're related, I've never met you but I feel like I'm really getting to know you through your blog posts. I loved your story about the plumbing mishaps and I'm eager for more. I have to tell you I wrote a short story quite a while ago about your grandmother and the plumbing mishaps on a trip to Norway. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete